Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Superman Complex

Failure is tough to swallow. You try not to treat is as life or death. You try to pick out what you did wrong, learn from it and move on. It's a lesson that's I've often acquainted myself with.

Failing again is heartbreaking. You made the adjustments you thought you had to make and you're shocked when you see that you still didn't come through. It's that moment that you literally slam on the breaks of life and re-evaluate everything, starting internally.

I've always prided myself on my independence, versatility and tenacity. It's always worked relatively well for me in the past. There's a term for it. Fatal success. That the most dangerous thing can happen to us is doing things our own way and believing we've succeeded. Today it backfired.

Maybe it's a confidence issue. Not a matter of under-confidence, but over confidence in your abilities. For months now, I had been running with a firebrand mentality that I always will my way through but without acknowledging my weakness of discipline and humbleness. My superman complex.

Another funny revelation was believing God was done breaking me apart. In reality, I had only wished that he'd stop breaking me. The final peice of his lesson was breaking down my pride which I never really knew I had or dealt with before. I'm slowly learning that part of being good at the little things is also giving up everything you hold onto before God. With that I'm left with two verses that hit me like kryptonite today.

"Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before stumbling."

Proverbs 16:18

"Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self control."

Proverbs 25:28

How fitting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home