Monday, November 21, 2005

Identity Crisis?

Sometimes I feel absolutely lost in my identity. The amazing and at times scary thing when God transforms you is that you no longer really recognized your old self. While you can get so caught up in the process of God molding you into the person he calls you to be, there always that phase where you no longer who you were beforehand and not the finished product. You are a work currently in progress that is undergoing a drastic change. It's tough to find words to define yourself.

I've had several moments where I've just asked God and myself "Who am I?" with the first response that intuitively comes to mind is: "I am a Christian." It's at this point that I'm tempted to dismiss this initally unsatisfying answer as mere fact and tell myself "Umm...that's great...and...?"

Then it dawns on me that its not the answer that is at fault but my attitude towards what it means. Being a Christian is not a title, nor is a boring set of rules to live by, but my identity. My declaration to the world what I'm about. There shouldn't be the necessity to catagorize themselves by personality traits that are constantly changing with time. Doing so is to set boundaries of who you are for the sake of easing the immediate uncertainty and as such, is a sin. Your personality should always be a reflection of the Holy Spirit living in you, not the centre-stage.

If your identity in Christ isn't something that doesn't resonate through your body with joy and fill you with hope, then the question may lie in your attitude or understanding of your faith. Christ died on the cross for us. He gave up everything so that we may be free.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home