Tuesday, November 09, 2004

A Different Mindset

I had an amazing time this weekend. This saturday was our SciFormal where all the graduating engineers come together all dressed up for one big expensive party. Expensive both in a monetary and time commitment sense. All of us were called to put in 45 hours of construction work and pay $105 for each ticket so we can go. Now 45 hours is a lot to time to put in for anyone's schedule and at first it seems almost unjustifiable, but then you see the final product and you can't help but be amazed. There was no shortcutting on the details, every little bit counts.

I recall just how much I was dreading doing my construction hours. So much so that I made a couple deals with friends to help me out. When I was there, painting away, the one thing that struck me was just how much I was enjoying the painting. How much I was enjoying the company that was around me. I also remember during the final week of construction just sitting down and putting together an electrical junction box, slowly rediscovering the electrician in me not seen since the days of high school shop class. Very nostalgic. It also gave me time to reflect on what been going on in my life, spiritually and physically and where I need to go. Something I hadn't had time for lately. After I was done my hours, I came to realize that the hours I was dreading so much, wasn't very dreadful at all. So what changed? I still had to put in the same amount of hours, I still had school being rammed down my throat. The only that changed was my attitude. I shouldn't consider these hours as a chore, but more as an opportunity to bond and contribute to something amazing. Contribute to something that only really happens once in our lifetimes.

The night of sciformal was absolutely incredible. But what made it special wasn't just how good the place looked, or how pimped out everyone was. What made it special was that it was an accumulation of friends I had met during my time here. Many who have been an absolute blessing to know. For me, Sciformal wasn't one night of fun, or two months of construction. Sciformal was four years in the making. There were a lot of awesome things that happened that week that I could've easily missed if I didn't look with the right frame of mind. So much of it is all about what mindset you have. That is something really amazing.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home