Thursday, March 10, 2005

The Difference Between Being Mature and Being Serious

During reading week, I was blessed to be able to spend the time with an awesome group of people in sunny Cuba. Just being there on the beach and relaxing, joking around and having serious talks was just a wonderful blessing.

One thing that I really took noticed was just how everyone else carries themselves. I remember we had a discussion about how you don't have to always be serious about everything but mature and that always being serious tends to make you a bit of a drag. I really gave that some thought and I did realize that there's a huge difference between the two.

I for one think that I'm far too serious a person, and sometimes I think that acts as a hinderence with my spirtual walk with God. I find myself constantly asking if everything I do has to be something spiritual and if such, should it always be treated seriously? This is where I start to struggle with acting serious and acting mature. I do matters of the spirit with absolute seriousness, which I don't think is wrong, but I often wonder if don't so could be preventing me from reaching out too others.

Ultimately, I'm worried that taking things so seriously starts to suck to joy out of everything I do. That what I'm doing is more out of duty than out of desire. I guess this is part me trying to break out of my old shell and part me trying to have that true passion for God's work. I honestly believe that the two do go hand in hand, that carrying that unwavering desire leads to the joy in the things I do, which might change the way I handle situations from always being serious to always being mature. My biggest problem is the desire which I really lack, which may or may not rooted from my consistently serious nature. Right now, I just want to be desperate for God, break off what feels like a shackle of always being so serious and let it be replaced with maturity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home