Thursday, January 13, 2005

The Man In The Arena Part II

"It is not the critic who counts; nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly, who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotion; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I posted this famous quote around seven months ago and I decided it was worth posting again. Why? Because at this stage in my life, when I am scared about what's possibly waiting for me in the future it reminds me to not lose hope and not to be afraid of making mistakes in the name of effort.

I really like this quote because it speaks to me on so many levels. I have it posted on my clipboard just to remind myself to keep going, especially on days when I hit that mental wall and want to stop trying at everything.

It's interesting, I find that the most valuable lessons I have ever learned wasn't anything that was revolutionary but often the same old lesson that has to be drilled into my head time and time again.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home