Thursday, December 30, 2004

77,000...

77,000 and counting. At least 500,000 reported injured. That's the current death toll of the tsunami that's wreaked havoc across Asia earlier this week and they say it's suppose to be up to 100,000. I can't begin the imagine what the sight of that must be like or perhaps I don't want to. I was looking at photos taken from places that all have been affected by this disaster and it just hits me how very real it is.

Everything that these people own has gone up in ruins. Shelter, food, water, everything. It strikes me just how easy it can be to lose all your possessions in an instant. And that's not even the most important part. I wonder just how many people are worried and affected by this disaster. How many people are wondering where there love ones are and how many people are on the brink of survival and clinging to some sense of hope. Thinking about it really saddens my heart.

It is encouraging to see how fast the international community is reacting to send relief and how people, regardless of ethnicity, creed or otherwise are willing to come together to help out. As if for a moment, whatever pettiness or politicking that's always omnipresent is taking a back seat.

I had a chance to reflect for a moment about where I've been through all of this. What if something like that were to happen at home. Our fellowship's English EM (Evangelistic Meeting) played out skit where a meteor was heading towards the earth and about to obliterate it in 3 hours. While that scenario may seem a bit farfetched the point it makes is very clear: Life is fragile and so are we. Deep down inside I know that I still take what I have for granted. If it all were come to a sudden stop, I don't know If I could say I've come close to making the most of what I've been given.

I hope I take this as a wake up call that really hits me. That it reminds me to live for him. But nevermind myself, I just pray for all the people who are struggling out there right now and all the people who are doing their best they can to help. I also pray that everyone can be reunited with their loved ones. 77,000...wow.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home