Monday, March 21, 2005

Being Less Judgemental

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Matthew 7:1-3

"Not many of you should persume to be teachers, my brothers, because you kow that we who teach will be judged more strictly."

James 3:1

It came to my attention how judgemental I can be at times. When I see others getting hurt by someone's recklessness, I sometimes instant get angry. I was talking to a a friend about the movie Ray and how I thought it was very tough to garner sympathy for him because of his recklessness. My friend pointed out to me that, with everything he's been through, and how far he's come and just having the power to get away with whatever he wants, who wouldn't be tempted? Also, can I fully understand what it's like to have a passion that runs so deep that it overrides everything else in my life?

It's at that point I realized that in fact I am completely wrong in my attitude. While I fully disagree with the way he live his life, the fact is, I shouldn't be so concerned with whether or not he's right or wrong in the way he's living his life. That I have absolutely no right to judge him because I am no better a person in the eyes of God. I soon changed my stance on the issue, but I felt I didn't do a good job of being a good witness at that point.

I learned a very good lesson about what effects judging others can have on yourself. And while I can take joy in learning from this lesson. I can't change the past, I can only forgive myself and take it as a learning experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home