Sunday, June 27, 2004

Finding yourself

I know the kind of person I was in the past and I think I know the kind of person I want to become in the future. Goal-wise I thought I had it figured out. But during this transition from being who I was in the past to want I want to be, I seem to be losing sight of who I am. It's an odd, limboish feeling when you come face to face with it.

So, who exactly am I? It's another one of those things that happens to everyone. You can't just define who you are in just a few sentences, can you? Well, I can define the main characteristics of me, but then the next question I ask is: "Is being who I am, or who I want to be, enough personality wise? Are you interesting enough?" Does any of us ever feel interesting enough, really? How can you find an answer to that question when the answer is completely subjective.

I did find an answer to both my questions that I could live with. A friend of mine told two things. First, he said that you have to find out what you truly enjoy doing. Finding out what's out there that you love, rather than what you like. We actually had a sermon at my church about a similar topic that week. The main point that the speaker was trying to make was that too often, we are people of preference rather than people of conviction. The message is still the same, in order to have that conviction, you need to have a passion and unwavering desire for it.

Secondly, as far as being interesting goes, he said that you can be as interesting as you want to be. Interesting as you want to be...that got me thinking, while there's always room for improvement in me, the current product isn't necessarily uninteresting, but perhaps just needs a tune up in the presentation. The analogy that I came up with was like a changing the marketing for the product. Good product, but can be much more effective if better advertised.

To finish off, it all can be summed in another quote that the same church speaker made in his sermon. Not necessarily about being interesting, but about finding yourself. Same idea, different wording.

"If something's wrong, make it right. If something's right, make it happen."

The first part is easy. The second part is what sets us apart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home